Call for your free consultation:
(843) 535-8000
Auto Accident

What To Do If A Police Officer Made A Mistake In Your Police Report In South Carolina?

It’s a common assumption that once a police officer writes down their account in a police report, it is final and binding. However, this is far from the truth. Police officers are human too and can be mistaken, leading to errors in their opinion or report. So, what should you do if a police officer made a mistake in your police report in South Carolina? In this post, we’ll discuss your options and what steps you can take to correct any inaccuracies.

What to Do if a Police Officer Made a Mistake in Your Police Report in South Carolina?

Firstly, it’s essential to understand that an opinion or report of a police officer is not final and binding unless it goes through the court system and is considered as evidence. Until then, it’s merely a report of what the officer perceived and recorded at the scene. However, if you believe that the officer made a mistake, you have the right to contest their account.

It’s important to note that most often, the police officer is not a witness to the accident. They may arrive later on the scene and base their opinion on their observations and the account of those involved. Therefore, other witnesses to the accident can be useful to contradict any inaccurate opinions or reports. If you have any witnesses, be sure to write their names and contact information down as soon as possible.

The Police Do Make Mistakes

If you believe that the police officer made an error in the report, you can hire a lawyer to help you contest their opinion. A lawyer can review the police report and any other evidence you may have to determine any mistakes or errors in the officer’s report. Your lawyer can then file a motion with the court requesting a correction to the report or to suppress any inaccurate evidence.

Another option is to file a complaint with the police department’s internal affairs division. If there was misconduct or negligence on the part of the officer, internal affairs can investigate the matter and potentially discipline the officer. However, filing a complaint with internal affairs may not necessarily correct any inaccuracies in the report.

It’s essential to act quickly if you believe that a police officer made a mistake in your report. In South Carolina, you only have a short window of time to contest any inaccuracies in police reports. Waiting too long could jeopardize your chance to dispute the officer’s account. So, be sure to act promptly.

In conclusion, a police officer’s opinion or report is not final and binding until it goes through the court system as evidence. If you believe that the officer made a mistake in your police report, you have options to contest their account. Hiring a lawyer or filing a complaint with internal affairs can potentially help to correct any inaccuracies. Additionally, other witnesses to the accident can be useful to contradict any errors in the police report. Be sure to act promptly to contest any inaccuracies as you only have a short window of time to do so in South Carolina.

Share This Story

If you found the information in this article helpful, consider sharing to your social media platforms to help others in their search for reliable & local legal information.

Our Charleston Personal Injury Lawyers are Here to Help You

At Christmas Injury Lawyers, our South Carolina injury lawyers provide representation after collisions, work accidents, construction accidents, accidents on property, and many other types of personal injuries. We believe firmly in the rights of injured victims and we have dedicated our careers to fighting for those whose lives have been derailed by accidents.

North Charleston Office
(843) 874-6564
1495 Remount Road
North Charleston, SC
Summerville Office
(843) 874-6564
105 S Cedar 
Suite D 
Summerville, SC 29483
Mt. Pleasant Office
(843) 874-6564
250 Mathis Ferry Road.
Suite 102
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Columbia Office
(803) 766-0707
3135 Millwood Ave
Suite A3
Columbia, SC 29205
The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute client relationship.
uploadmagnifiercross linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram