Call for your free consultation:
(843) 535-8000

What To Do If You Think You Have A Medical Malpractice Case

If you believe that you have been harmed by a medical professional, be it a doctor, nurse, pharmacist or other provider, you may be wondering if you are able to file a medical malpractice lawsuit. In every state in the nation, you have the ability to file suit for compensation for the costs associated with your injury. There are some basic steps involved in filing a medical malpractice case. Read on to discover what to do if you think you have a case.

1. Contact the Medical Professional

The first thing you want to do is to contact the medical professional before you file a lawsuit. You want to understand what could have gone wrong. You also want to see if your doctor can remedy your injury or if they are willing to fix their error without charging you for their services.

2. Get In Touch with the State Medical Board

Before you file a lawsuit, you may be able to get the state medical board to force the doctor to compensate you. These are also the people who can discipline medical professionals and make that discipline a part of public record. At this point, you will want to contact a medical malpractice attorney.

3. Know the Statute of Limitations

It is important to know the statute of limitations in your state. In South Carolina, you must bring suit three years from either the date the injury occurred or the date it was discovered. These time frames may vary depending on what type of injury you suffered and how old you were at the time of the injury.

4. Visit Another Doctor

You will want to get a medical assessment to determine the extend of your injury. This information will be used as evidence in your case should you decide to move forward. You may be required to file a certificate of merit after your visit. Your attorney will assist you with this.

5. File Your Suit

Once your attorney has determined that you have all of the information necessary, they will help you file your lawsuit in the appropriate court. If you need more information or evidence, your attorney will advise you of such and tell you the steps to take.

If you believe that you have a medical malpractice case in Charleston, call our office. We will review the details of your injury at no cost to you and advise you how to proceed. Call now for assistance or browse our website for more information about our firm.

Photo Credit

Share This Story

If you found the information in this article helpful, consider sharing to your social media platforms to help others in their search for reliable & local legal information.

Our Charleston Personal Injury Lawyers are Here to Help You

At Christmas Injury Lawyers, our South Carolina injury lawyers provide representation after collisions, work accidents, construction accidents, accidents on property, and many other types of personal injuries. We believe firmly in the rights of injured victims and we have dedicated our careers to fighting for those whose lives have been derailed by accidents.

North Charleston Office
(843) 874-6564
1495 Remount Road
North Charleston, SC
Summerville Office
(843) 874-6564
105 S Cedar 
Suite D 
Summerville, SC 29483
Mt. Pleasant Office
(843) 874-6564
250 Mathis Ferry Road.
Suite 102
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Columbia Office
(803) 766-0707
3135 Millwood Ave
Suite A3
Columbia, SC 29205
The information on this website is for general information purposes only. Nothing on this site should be taken as advice for any individual case or situation. This information is not intended to create, and receipt or viewing does not constitute client relationship.
uploadmagnifiercross linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram